Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Smoky Squash and Red Pepper Soup (Vegan, GF)

I miss old smoky! I have loved smoked salmon on bagels for as long as I can remember. Now I'm always striving for that ever sweet smoky flavour in my vegan cooking. This soup is delicieux! Cumin lends to squash very well and it is what gives this soup the "smokiness" factor. I wonder if putting a dash of mesquite (liquid smoke) would make it even smokier, I put it on the ingredient list as an option, I haven't tried it, but you are welcome to give it a try. My favourite part of this soup is that it's the best orange colour ever! The pictures don't do it justice seriously!


4 acorn squash, roasted OR 1 butternut squash, roasted
2 red peppers, roasted
1 can light coconut milk
6 cups vegetable stock
2 cooking onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1/4 tsp coriander
Salt and pepper, to taste
Squeeze of lemon juice, to taste
dash of mesquite (optional)


Start by cooking the onions in olive oil until translucent in a large soup pot. Add garlic, saute for a minute. Add red pepper flakes, coriander, and cumin. Saute for another minute. Add squash, red pepper, and vegetable stock, simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add coconut milk, tarragon, salt and pepper. Keep simmering for 10 more minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice. Add mesquite if desired. Blend in blender or with a hand blender (way easier!). Makes one large pot of soup.

Squash-tacular!

6 comments:

  1. Nice! That does look mighty squash-tacular... such wonderful photos, I can practically taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks so healthy and delicious. Plus, you guys (I mean 'ladies-smile) used my favorite: Taragon! Yummerz...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing.... so smooth-looking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete