Friday, September 24, 2010

Green Guacamole (Vegan, GF)

Three little avocados sitting in the fridge, what is one to do?! Why, make guacamole of course! I never considered meddling with the ever so-holy guacamole, but this worked out great and gave it a lovely green hue. If this doesn't please your veggie friends, you didn't use enough spinach :)


3 Haas avocados (very soft)
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp salt
Ground pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 onion diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil (if needed)
1/2-1 bunch of spinach, wilted

Mash the avocados, combine with spices, juice, onion, garlic, tomato and olive oil. Wilt spinach by massaging by hand for a few minutes or until the leaves dramatically reduce in size, you may want to add more depending on preference (I added one whole bunch of spinach, because I love my greens!). You will be left with some juice, drain this out and do not put in with spinach. Fold in wilted spinach. Makes one big bowl, serve with dehydrated raw crackers, rice chips, or carrot sticks.

5 comments:

  1. ok, i might try this. i usually throw guac over salad anyhow, might as well mix the whole thing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I am actually munching on some guacamole and chips right now! I never thought to use spinach before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so green and lush, beautiful photo! we were just reading up on the awesome health benefits of avos the other night...yum!
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bentobird! I know so much more about avocados now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea! I'm going to make my guac this way next time I make it;)

    ReplyDelete